Oxford, Oxfordshire

8Z7H7298---Version-2

The present Greyfriars opened on 16th July 1911, as a chapel of ease, and was passed into the care of the Capuchins in December 1928. The Jesuit Fathers handed over the church and all its furnishings as a free gift, refusing to accept anything but a mere one thousand pounds for the valuable land on which the church stood, land which was sufficient to allow of the building of the present friary next to the church. Then the building of the friary began. The first part of the proposed friary, the present Greyfriars, was ready for occupation in October 1931.

Greyfriars nestles behind some slender silver birches on the Iffley Road where stands a neo-romanesque building adorned with knapped flint. This is the Oxford friary which adjoins the parish church of SS Edmund of Abingdon and Frideswide. The parish has a very cosmopolitan flavour in a less affluent part of Oxford, but attracts people from all over the county. From here the friars engage in parish work, youth ministry and work among the local homeless. The friary is an inter-provincial novitiate centre for the Provinces of Ireland; Malta and Great Britain. Many friars come from abroad to learn English at one of the local language schools and other students come to make use of the University’s academic facilities. Oxford being a staging post for many travellers ensures a constant ministry of Franciscan hospitality and an interesting mixture of guests. There is also a steady stream of callers seeking tea and sandwiches or help with pastoral problems.

Greyfriars
Iffley Road
Oxford
OX4 1SB

View location map
Link to Parish

T: 01865 243694 / 01865 256751
F: 01865 256750


8Z7H9857